Super treat weekend

We’re back from Lawrence and I’m super tired, but I wanted to do a quick post before the Carolina/Duke game starts at 8.


The drive to Topeka was evil and scary and windy, much like the last time I drove on I-70. I went to the gym yesterday morning, and between the time I left at 5:30 and got home at about 7, the temperature dropped from 34 to 17. Not a good sign. Driving back, I saw a few snowflakes, so we decided to leave a little early to allow extra time. It snowed during our whole drive to Topeka, just little flakes, but the wind was so hardcore that I actually thought we were going to be blown off the road. But we made it all in two pieces, and I had a productive appointment with my rheumatologist. He prescribed some new meds to help control my Raynaud’s, did some blood tests to check on my fatigue, and identified the spot of searing pain on my left foot as just a gnarly inflammation that I need to be soaking more. While going through my blood tests from last time, he mentioned that my hemoglobin levels were surprisingly good for someone my age – apparently the vegetables are doing their job.

After the visit, we did some shopping in Topeka and then headed up I-70 again in the snow to Lawrence.


We were starving when we got to Lawrence. I have a hard time filling up after having blood drawn, so the banana I had as a morning snack wasn’t doing much for me. We had lunch at Ingredient, a salad/sandwich/pizza place that we’ve tried once before. I had this awesome salad:


Spinach, red chili turkey breast, pico de gallo, tillamook cheddar (okay, I honestly have no idea what tillamook is), and an “herb garlic tortilla.” I skipped the chipotle ranch dressing (b/c ranch is sick), but had a little of the sour cream and most of the tortilla. Delicious.

Then it was more shopping, checking into the swanky hotel and a break at Wheatfields bakery and cafe, where I had some English Breakfast tea to warm me up (it was freeeeeeezing yesterday), and picked up some special treats for later. Then, more treats: a short massage and a pedicure. I got hungry again while I was waiting for my toes to dry, and by the time I got back to the hotel to meet Matt, we were both ready for dinner. I forgot the camera, sadly, or I could have shown you a picture of the beautiful sushi that we had. I had an eel-avocado roll, two pieces of tuna nigiri, and two pieces of Matt’s selections. I also had a sake martini. With no afternoon snack and a relatively small dinner, I was still hungry, so I had a (tiny little) serving of red bean ice cream (in a tiny little bowl). Seriously, it was so cute and little and delicate. I wish I had a picture. Walking back in the cold, I got hungry again, so I stopped for a small decaf cappuccino and I had that as part of my second dessert of the night, along with a coconut macaroon from Wheatfields earlier. Mmmmm. I’m not always a big consumer of things that normal people call dessert because I try to save my hardcore sweets eating for special occasions and/or times the food is really worth it. This was both! I mean, look at this gorgeous macaroon:


At Wheatfields, I only ordered one macaroon, but they accidentally gave me two, and after I finished this one, I accidentally ate it… But yeah, worth it.

It was back to Wheatfields for breakfast, where I had a gigantic bowl of granola with yogurt (no camera again, so you’ll have to imagine it). The granola powered me through more shopping, checking out of the hotel, and a few loops around the park (it was much warmer today, so walking around was much more enjoyable). According to my pedometer, I walked almost seven miles today, which is pretty awesome.

Lunch was at Ingredient again (hey, we know what we like). Today’s salad had spring greens, chicken, strawberries, mandarin oranges, a little gorgonzola and caramelized pecans, with raspberry vinaigrette dressing on the side. Ingredient is 3 for 3 with delicious salads.


After lunch, we went to the Merc, where I found beautiful, wonderful things that I can’t get here, like Fage Total 0% yogurt, and, finally, hempmilk! I see so many food bloggers drinking it, so I’m excited to give it a shot.


After we got home, I had a few errands to run, and I made a quick dinner when I got home… another winner from Clean Eating, Warm Salmon and Couscous salad. Whole wheat couscous, canned salmon, spinach, shredded carrot and chicken broth. Quite tasty. Here it is with half a whole wheat brotchen roll from this morning’s breakfast.


Okay, I’m missing the game now. And I’m thirsty. And my foot hurts.

Don’t forget to Spring Forward!


One Response to Super treat weekend

  1. Tara says:

    I’m jealous of the salads. They look so good!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: