All day, I thought it was Thursday. It wasn’t. That’s tomorrow.
To comfort myself in the face of all that disorientation, I made my first chili of the season:
You could call this “use whatever you have” chili. I know I will.
Here’s what I used:
- About 3 small turkey burgers worth of ground turkey breast (this is a precise measurement, I know)
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- Cumin (lots)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can green chiles, diced
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 cups of broth
- 1 cup of water
All measures are fairly approximate. Except the ones that say “1 can,” because I feel pretty confident about those.
Here’s what to do:
- Heat carrot, onion, and garlic in olive oil over medium high heat until soft.
- Add turkey and cumin and cook turkey through, breaking into small chunks.
- Add beans, peppers, barley, water, and broth. Bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Write me fan mail.
I’ll be experimenting with this more (read: every other day) as the weather cools off. This was a little bland for me, so I need to heat it up next time. It would also be good without the turkey, with different beans, with some corn, with a different grain. The possibilities are endless, really.
Okay, I’m wiped out, so I’m going to go finish The Road and probably cry about a post-apocalyptic world until I fall asleep.
And then it will be Thursday.