Did you miss me?
I know you did, because I got so many comments about my absence.
OH WAIT. No I didn’t.
But that’s okay, I had a busy week, too.
This morning was cold, the coldest it’s been in a few weeks, and I felt like my feet were actually frozen by the time I made it from my car to work, so I started thinking about chili at about 8:25am. Which is early even for me.
Also, according to my very careful records (this blog), we haven’t had chili since December 21, and that’s kind of remarkable in this household.
Say that three times fast.
I put this together on the fly, but I think it went something like this:
- Heat ~1t olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add 1/2 cup quick cooking barley and toast, stirring frequently, for two minutes.
- Add 1 diced green pepper and 1 diced onion, along with cumin, chili powder, and cayenne to taste. I actually had a cumin accident at this point and I’m sure there’s at least 1/4 cup in this dish. Cook, stirring often, until peppers and onions begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of vegetable broth and bring to a fairly serious boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 20 minutes. The barley should be tender and the whole thing should look really thick. Or “dank,” as Matt would say.
- Add 2 more cups of broth, 1 cup of water, more spices, and 1 can of each of the following beans: dark red kidney, black, and garbanzo. Or any firm beans. Whatever.
- Stir and bring back to a quick boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Uncover and continue to simmer until it thickens up a bit.
This makes at least 5 or 6 meals, and it tasted great. I didn’t use any tomatoes, so it had more of a white chili feel.
Many days ago, we also had this pizza, which is notable because of Matt’s inspired addition:
That’s right, he chopped up some gala apples to put on it, along with the mushrooms, red peppers, and broccoli that I selected (most of the broccoli fell off, sadly). I was skeptical at first, but I have to admit that he was right: the apples were awesome.
I’m cooking at least our next three dinners, so I should be back soon. I’m committing in this public forum, so I kind of have to, right?