If anyone ever asked me about my cooking process (which no one ever has, so consider this a bonus), I think I’d explain it like this:
- Start cooking a grain.
- Stand in front of the refrigerator.
- Find quick-cooking proteins that are or used to be beans.
- Look for vegetables justthisclose to going bad.
- Heat some oil in a skillet.
- Add garlic to it. No matter what.
- Chop vegetables. Put them in the skillet.
- Add enough ground cumin that everything gets a little bit brown and there’s cumin crust in the pan.
- Add the protein(s).
- Stir. Add more cumin. Let it cook until it looks kind of gross.
- Put the cooked grains in a bowl. Scoop some of the vegetable mixture on top.
- Add cheese.
- And maybe salsa.
- Eat dessert.
- Play Boggle.
- Go on vacation.
Don’t miss me too much.